Hi everyone! This comes a little late, but checking in with a quick round-up of everything that’s happened for the site.
2016 was an interesting and productive period for us. We opened our doors to new members, churned out more content, and got invited to some pretty cool events. We also unveiled our official mascot – our Cat (will go a bit more on that later) – and celebrated New Year’s Eve by launching the revamped the website. YAY FOR MOBILE READY!
2016 Event Highlights
We already knew that AsiaPOP Comic Con and the E-Sports and Gaming Summit were the two big conventions that we definitely wanted to cover, so when the opportunity came along we were admittedly psyched!
— Ade Magnaye (@AdeMagnaye) August 28, 2016
It was a pretty amazing – if gloriously exhausting – experience that was a first for a lot of us. We’d also like to take this opportunity to give a shout-out of thanks to What’s A Geek who collaborated with us on the coverage. Great teamwork, guys!
Another thing we’d like to highlight is our coverage of Love and Gaming, the Gamers & GMs Philippines Minicon held last February. Our EIC Pamela dropped in on the event, and you can read all about it over here.
2016 Content Highlights
We published some really, really good articles in 2016. But before I get to the Top 10 Most Read Posts of 2016, I want to do a quick recap of some new columns that you all can follow:
- Geek Word Wednesdays is where we pick a geeky word and discuss. We cover not just it’s definition, roots and use, but its relevance in today’s world.
- Real Talk Tuesdays is a space for contributors to open up about issues and topics that we feel strongly about. 2016 left us all with a lot of feelings towards social and political issues. A place to put these feelings down into words is important to us. And finally;
- Remembering Old Friends is where we plan to share fond memories and experiences of the video games and video game characters that not only mean a lot to us, and how they have shaped the way we play.
Please do check them out! We’d love to know what you think.
Top 10 Most Read Posts of 2016:
10. Delayed Impressions: Unpretty Rapstar Season 1 (published April 25)
Kimi, Arbiter Of BS, reviews the first season of K-pop Reality TV Show Unpretty Rapstar and shares her thoughts on why it’s worth checking it out.
9. Geek Word Wednesdays: The Definition of Geek (published February 24)
EIC Pam Punzalan kicks off Geek Word Wednesdays by breaking down a word that a lot of us identify as.
8. When Did Tabletop Come Back? (published December 19)
Resident freelance artist and D&D GM Lee Flores talks about her own journey into tabletop. It’s also a great primer on Youtube shows that can help you get into pen and paper gaming.
7. Remembering Old Friends: Yoshi (published July 7)
In the second installment to our column Remembering Old Friends, Pam talks about the cutest dragon in the Mario-verse.
6. Harley Quinn and Joker #RelationshipGoals? You Must Be Joking (published August 15)
#RelationshipGoals trended shortly after “Suicide Squad” hit the theaters. Kimi was having none of that nonsense where Harley Quinn and the Joker were concerned.
5. Geek Word Wednesdays: The Definition of Fandom (published March 16)
In yet another entry for Geek Word Wednesdays, Pam comes back to talk a little about fandom.
4. Girls Got Game’s Top Geek Things of 2016 (published December 31)
There was a lot to feel shitty about in 2016 – but there were a number of things that made us happy too. Here’s the rundown of our Top Geek Things of 2016!
3. So About That Sherrilyn Kenyon vs. Cassandra Clare Lawsuit (published February 22)
This flew under the radar for some, but with Cassandra Clare’s Shadowhunters airing, there was a bit of a fuss about copyright, plagiarism and uncomfortable similarities to a little known series called the Dark Hunters. I decided to weigh in on that.
2. The Curious Case of FFXV: A Final Fantasy XV Review (published December 30)
We only have this to say to sum up Pam’s review of Final Fantasy XV: fangirl tears and SO MUCH SALT. Go read more to see why we agree.
1. An Open Letter From A Pinay Comicbook Writer (published September 27)
And our #1 article for 2016 with over 4k views goes to indie comic artist Dana Martinez. Here, Dana pens an open letter about locally produced tv show Alyas Robin Hood and the reason why so many people were mad about it.
Want to connect? Just hit the follow button or message us! We promise we answer back :3
Many thanks are due as well to Lee Flores for our beautiful mascot (also featured shredding last year’s calendar as you can see above). You’ll no doubt be seeing more of our bbket in the coming months – and why not? Our darling is adorable!
I think that’s pretty much everything!
Please do poke around the site to see what else we shared this year (Read: there was a LOT).
There’s no need to be shy about leaving us comments either! We might lag a bit on the response rate, but we’ll definitely make it a point to get back to you.
Thanks so much for reading everyone, and here’s to another year of playing without apology!